For as far back as Stéphanie Émond, co-founder along with her father Daniel, can remember, The Émond family has integrated bath rituals in their daily lives.
At their summer cottage, They built a sauna on the dock piece by piece in the early 1980s. Its location on an Island in the Outaouais region made its construction difficult, yet this made it also very unique. In winter, the family would not let a weekend go by without ending each ski day in the sauna and a swim in the icy waters of the Rivière-à-Simon in the Laurentians.
FROM BARCELONA TO QUEBEC
Established in Barcelona since 1999, Stéphanie Émond started to explore the Catalan Coast early on in 2003, hoping to find the ideal setting for the spa project she had been nurturing since her adolescence.
Animated by a desire to combine her passion for hospitality, health and architecture, it was in 2004, during a winter trip back home to Quebec, that Stéphanie and her father discovered, while snowshoeing in the heart of the Eastern Townships, an exceptional domain in Bromont-sur-le-lac. They immediately fell in love with this breathtakingly beautiful natural landscape that went as far as the eye could see and saw the great potential the old abandoned buildings offered.
Stéphanie moved back home to dedicate herself to developing her project in partnership with her father. Recruiting her dear friend, Jean-Sébastien Bourdages, a young architect she had met in Barcelona, they drew up exploratory sketches, transforming them as their environment inspired them.
She then established her treatment and service plan, using the knowledge she had acquired during her travels throughout Scandinavia, Europe, Jordan and South-America. She also modeled her ideas using the rich historical heritage BALNEA presented as an ancient Amerindian ritual site.
Soon after they had started building, Stéphanie met Denis Laframboise, a young Montreal Entrepeneur with whom she shared a passion for entrepreneurship and design. A skillful and meticulous administrator, Denis soon joined the father-daughter partnership to finalize the construction of the project.
Two years later, Denis and Stéphanie became the sole shareholders of the enterprise.
From the opening to today
In October 2005, after more than a year and a half and an investment of over 5 million dollars, BALNEA Spa and Thermal Reserve was officially inaugurated.
From the moment it opened its doors, BALNEA has become a reference for day spas in Quebec.
BALNEA redefines the art of relaxation and innovates through its contemporary design, with its client service planning as well as with its “all inclusive” experience within a lean and refined ambiance for all the senses to enjoy and offered with authenticity and gratitude.
“Ever since those first days, we have been pursuing our dream of offering our clients a timeless, voluptuous, gourmet health resort experience. For us, BALNEA is an ode to nature, an adventurous and captivating sanctuary, a ritual constantly reinventing itself, a well needed luxury, that must inspire, rejuvenate and awaken”.
- Discovery of Bromont-sur-le-lac, a 400-acre domain.
- BALNEA was created,
- Transfer of 320 acres of conservation terrain to Nature Conservancy Canada to establish a conservation park.
2007 – 2009
- Creation of Beach Club, a 3 seasons space offering private hot tubs, terraces by lake Gale, a wood sauna, docks and floating beds in symbiosis with nature.
2008 – 2009
- Expansion of relaxation zones by creating the Cinéspa, the Aquarium, the winter Lounge, the Havre, the Hutte, the Moroccan Lounge and the Lounge.
- First edition of The Summer of Chefs and developed as focusing on Health gastronomy,
- Elimination of bottled water distribution.
- Opening of Airspa, today BALNES Spa Voyage, in december
- Acquisition of BathRoom urban spa, in november
- Conversion of our traditional oil and wood-burning heating system to wood particles, thus eliminating almost 450 tons of greenhouse effect gazes annually,
- Launch of the Detox Cure to offer, outside the walls of BALNEA, a standalone tool for maintaining or getting in shape and maintaining vitality.
2012 – 2014
- Collaboration with Chefs Jean-Marc Mathieu and Hakeem Chajar as consulting Chefs for the creation of the BALNEA restaurant menus.
- Inauguration of the new Welcome area,
- Restaurant opening for guests in street clothing,
- Expansion of indoor spaces by 25%.
- Vitality Challenge,
- Recruitment of S’arto Chartier-Otis as our Resident Chef,
- Creation of LUMAMI, BALNEA’s restaurant,
- Inauguration of the Réfectoire, immersive corporative room.
- 10th anniversary of the inauguration of BALNEA. A true icon among Quebec spas, BALNEA is constantly reinventing the art of relaxation
- BALNEA Hotel, to further extend your stay